I can see why
there would be controversy over the title of the book, “The Book of Negroes.” I
think the main controversy is just the word; “Negros” people see it instantly
and criticize it without knowing the background of the title. I find that our
society is to quick to assume things, and can instantly jump to a conclusion
that is far from the truth. I think that the title is fine in the context of
the book. I think that using the word, “Negros” is not okay, but the word in
the title makes sense as the book is explaining the history of the Black
Loyalist in Africa. I think that burning of the cover of the book was a little
harsh, and didn’t need to be done, as the book wasn’t criticizing them it was
explaining the history of the Black Loyalist. Other titles that could be
fitting is, “The Story of a Girl.” I think that the book didn’t need to be
censored as there is nothing really bad in the book, it is just explaining
history, and I find that if a book can be censored for explain history of a certain
group then something is wrong with our society.
I agree, and if we had the choice to burn everything that offended us...
ReplyDeleteNegroes is truly an apt name in terms of the novel itself. It's the very book Aminata is writting in. It also reflects how Africans were treated and called at the time, and the book is pretty acurate in terms of history. I don't like the title 'somebody knows my name' because its too confusing unless you've already read the book.